Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fellow Hoosiers



Do you every find yourself so bored out of your mind that you end up surfing the internet looking at random website after random website hoping to find something interesting? Well, take a break. Today I've done all of the searching so you can cut to the chase.

Though I currently reside in Virginia, I call Indiana home. Like anyone from time to time, I am guilty of complaining about the region where I grew up. Truth be told, Indiana is not a bad place at all to grow up. So I set out on a journey of the world wide web to see who else hails from the Hoosier State. Thanks to wikipedia here are some of the names that perticularly stood out to me:

James Dean-actor (Fairmount)
Steve McQueen-actor (Beech Grove)
Red Skelton-comedian (Vincennes)
David Letterman-comedian (Indianapolis)
Jim Gaffigan-comedian (Chesterton)
Bill Gaither-singer (Alexandria)
John Mellencamp-singer, songwriter, musician (Seymour)
Michael Jackson, singer (Gary)
David Lee Roth-Van Halen singer (Bloomington)
Florence Henderson- actress (Dale)
Jane Pauley-news anchor (Indianapolis)
John Andretti-racer (Indianapolis)
Larry Bird-basketball player (French Lick)
Axl Rose-lead singer of Guns 'N Roses (Lafayette)
Damarcus Beasley-soccer player (Fort Wayne)
Jeff Gordon-racer (Pittsboro)
Jenna Fischer-Actress [Pam on the Office] (Fort Wayne)
Shawn Kemp-basketball player (Elkhart)
Kenny Lofton-baseball player (East Chicago)
Don Mattingly-baseball player (Evansville)
Orville Redenbacher-businessman (Brazil, Indiana)
Stephen King-author (Fort Wayne)
Kurt Vonnegut-author (Indianapolis)
Amelia Earhart-pioneer woman aviator (West Lafayette)
Gus Grissom-astronaut (Mitchell)
Wilbur Wright-Inventor (Millville)
John Dillinger-bank robber (Indianapolis)
Jimmy Hoffa-labor-union leader (Brazil)
Jon Fitch-UFC fighter (Fort Wayne)
Chris Lytle-UFC Fighter (Indianapolis)


Unfortunately, the only icon I found on this list who was from my hometown (Warsaw) was Bubba the Love Sponge. However, I like to call Fort Wayne my home away from home and they have quite a few hits.

So with all of this extra time that I have given you, you should go do something productive... like read a book. Or you could view the whole list for yourself here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Indiana

3 comments:

Carl H. said...

I found your blog through local legend and prolific gnat hunter Everett White. I look forward to seeing more of your ideas and pic's.

I had no idead that some of these people were from here, but cool none the less.

Steven said...

Thanks, hope you enjoy the blog!

Ian said...

I find it strange that you didn't mention me on the list :)

Thanks for representing Evansville (Don Mattingly)...even though we are basically in Kentucky.