Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mountain Biking 11/10 & 11/11

I had Monday and Tuesday off work for veterans day. What did I do? I rode some trails of course. Monday I went out to a network of trails here in town for the first time at Lodi Farm, and Tuesday I explored a new part of the Rappahannock river trail. Before I get into those pictures, here are a few pictures of trails that are on my "trail wish list" at www.singletracks.com. Begin drooling now:

Maah Daah Hey, North Dakota

Rim Trail, New Mexico

North Umpqua, Oregon


Copper Triangle, Colorado


The entry to the trails at Lodi Farm

Lodi Farm is open to the public, but it's private property. It costs $5 a day, or you can get a yearly pass. They were really fun trails to ride, but for $5 I think I think I'll find some free land in the future. Besides, they have all of this legal stuff.

Plenty of cool things to keep you alert.


Especially when there is a 5 foot drop-off.


Obviously in November pretty much all of the leaves have fallen. This made traction hard to keep. What was worse than that though, I had an even harder time keeping track of the trail. At this spot I literally had to get off my bike and survey the area to figure out where the path went.


In my element.


Only one way across!


One particular trail ran through what seemed to be a dumping area with a bunch of scrap metal and this gutted Dodge van.


...Redneck bike ramp. I'm not saying I have never made something like this, but c'mon I was 8!


The trail eventually loops around to where you started. It was a beautiful day.


These next pictures are from the trails on Tuesday. This "bridge" is not sagging. It was built on a horizontal slope. This picture does not do it justice, but it was quite intimidating. I did not ride over it. I wouldn't even know how.


Remember the picture of the tunnel I posted a few weeks ago? The one I was too freaked out to go through. I finally faced my fear and rode through it. You will all be happy to know there are no bums living in there waiting to murder unsuspecting victims. However, if you're not careful, you'll find yourself a little wet at the end. This is a picture on the other side as you come out.


This is what you see as you come out.

It was nice they put this inconspicuous warning sign at the very end of the tunnel. Someone might want to think about moving it to the beginning... before you are going too fast to stop.


Here is another shot looking back through it. It's a lot more difficult than you might think to ride in a straight line in the dark. You just have to try to keep that light in the middle of your path. If you really do see a light at the end of the tunnel when you die, I'm now fully prepared to tackle that challenge.


I'll never understand how trees this size get uprooted.


It's as if the finger of God came down and knocked it over. We go cow tipping, God goes tree tipping.

No comments: